Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rejecting the Single Story

Good Day Everyone,
Yesterday I was given this video of Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie. In the video, she speaks about rejecting the single story which helps to create stereotypes we have about people and places. I have thought a lot about stereotypes as I prepare to go to Ghana. I don't know much about Ghana but I am comfortable in going and being present in every experience I have there. Sometimes when I tell people I am going to Ghana they have a fearful reaction. The fear is for my safety, and I am aware of that. But it is scary to those who may have only heard a single story. One thing I have heard multiple times is I shouldn't go because there are crocodiles in Ghana. I did not know if there are crocodiles in Ghana or not. So I googled it and found out there are. I do know there are also crocodiles right here in America. As a result I'm cancelling all future trips to southern Florida. (sarcastic smirk)

I realize those people around me who have these concerns are people who care about me and are just concerned for my safety. And for that I am thankful. When I saw this video it also shed some light on why some people may have these feelings about any country on the African continent. Many of us Americans have only been giving one story. This one story supposedly includes all of Africa and leaves little room for any other experiences. By expanding our minds and reading further we can discover the differences among the stories on the entire continent.

The speaker in this story is from Nigeria and I am going to Ghana. Two different countries with many different types of people with different experiences. It's what she speaks about in this video that can help many of us to discover these truths about many different places around the world.




-Austin

4 comments:

  1. beautiful. i'll have to check out the vid from my own computer. i hate The Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came back from Florida recently... and I did see a crock! But he was in the zoo :-)

    It's so funny how we (all people) get kind of isolated at times and like to just live in our own little world rather than explore the entire world. Too cool that you are getting an opportunity to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adichie is brilliant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah..I saw this clip a few months ago..simply exquisite and impeccably well put. I gave Adichie a standing ovation in front of my computer screen!

    Combating the danger of the "single story" is something that informs every aspect of my own writing. This is why having more than one voice is so important - so the misrepresented and marginalised can tell their own stories TRUTHFULLY.

    I wish you the very best in Ghana - it is traditionally the first stop for US/Caribbean blacks when visiting the "motherland". WEB Dubois actually gave up his American passport for a Ghanaian one and died there. There are many places to be wary off in Africa but Ghana isnt one of them everyone who visits loves it and says it's just beautiful. Ghana is a great choice - hope it's all you dream of and more.

    ReplyDelete