Monday, January 4, 2010

Beginning to Document it All

Disclaimer: I normally proofread a lot more than I got to do with this one. Internet connections are spotty at times for me here so I had to get a post up when I could.

I’m sitting in Castle Beach Restaurant writing in my journal. This is my favorite spot in Cape Coast so far. It’s right on the beach and from my favorite table you can look out over rocks jetting out in the ocean from the beach as the salty breeze comes in giving you a cool break from the Ghanaian sun.

I have two drinks of choice here. First is Alvaro, a non-alcoholic natural malt based drink and the other is Voltic. In my first few hours here Ephious told me Voltic would be my best friend here in Ghana. Less than a week in I must say he is right. Voltic is my best friend. Voltic is bottled mineral water. We use it for everything even brushing teeth. I normally carry a bottle with me everywhere I go.

So today was going to be my first attempt at navigating Cape Coast on my own. I was initially going to head to the Cape Coast office of the Ghanaian Ministry of Health. I was headed there to try to locate some local NGOs where I might be able to do some volunteer work here.
Ephious informed me that today was not the day for that. With it being the first day people are back to work after the holiday they may not have time or patience for the bright eyed young American right now.


So I still did some exploring on my own and got myself to Castle Restaurant. Once I arrived here I felt it would be a great time to write about my experiences so far.
It’s hard to do. For one thing I have seen so much that I am not sure I will be able to get everything down. This is going to take a few different posts just to get caught up.
So in this my favorite place in Cape Coast, with the see breeze briskly running over me I have decided to give it a try.


This restaurant is a great place to write. Sounds of Alicia Keys, En Vogue, Mary J. Blige and Usher run from the radio speakers mixing with the crashing waves before me and the songs of the local fishermen working hard on the shore as they work together in a “tug of war” like stance pulling in the days catch.

This is Ghana.

100% African yet appreciative of some aspects of western culture and people. In this restaurant I am next to the Cape Coast Slave Castle. Hence the restaurant name Castle Restaurant. I haven’t done the tour of the castle yet. I’ve only been outside. But as I look at it’s walls through the window I can’t hep but wonder if someone related to me was once held captive on the inside of those walls. Chained, confused, angry, and afraid did they stand wondering where they were being led? Did they wonder if they would be able to return home to a family who inevitably would worry then mourn a loved one they would never see again?

Whether someone connected to me passed through here or another place heading west , each time I look at this castle I lift up thanks for their strength and courage to endure many hardships and atrocities. Because of their strength and courage I am here.

Here in this country on this continent I have only wondered about my entire life. I’ve had a lot of assumptions I have had to get over and I am sure there are some more that will be thrown out the window as time passes.

There is not a book magazine article, or blog that could have prepared me fully. The accounts from those who have been here only told me their stories and did not prepare me to create my own. There is so much I have gotten to see and experience and here are some of the pictures. I’m going to end this post here and do more continuing the story.

-Austin


Cape Coast, Ghana January 2010



Ghanaian Arrival

2 comments:

  1. Too cool! I'm so happy for you and this journey you're on. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading this post was magical. i can't wait to hear more. i am SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete